Plataforma CIPÓ, alongside the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC), Centro de Colaboración Cívica (CCC), Equipo Pueblo, and the Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is pleased to invite you to participate in an informal dialogue on The Escazú Agreement:An Opportunity to Advance Global Peace through a Human Rights-Based Approach on 14 July 2021at 12:00p.m. – 1:30p.m CDT | 1:00p.m. – 2:30p.m. EST
In April 2021, the Escazú Agreement entered into force to respond to the increased impact of climate change in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) on people, their livelihoods, and their interactions with each other. Addressing climate change is a shared task that can only be undertaken through global solidarity, multi-stakeholder partnership and joint coordination across relevant stakeholders within governments, regional organisations, the United Nations (UN), civil society, private sector, and local peacebuilding networks.
In the context of the 2021 High-Level Political Forum, we would like to have an informal conversation among the representatives of national governments, regional organizations, the UN and civil society as we all explore the opportunities presented by the Escazú Agreement for peacebuilding and development in LAC and in other contexts.
We are pleased to be joined by:
- Laura Becerra, Executive Director, Equipo Pueblo AC
- Daniel Zapico, Human Rights Officer, United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Daniel Martín, Director of Sustainable Development, Centro de Colaboración Cívica (CCC)
The discussion will be facilitated by Adriana Erthal Abdenur, Executive Director, Plataforma CIPÓ, and will be in the informal format of a roundtable with a goal to facilitate the discussion between the representatives of the UN, civil society and Member States from the field and global policy spaces. Specifically, our dialogue will explore:
- What opportunities does the Escazú Agreement offer for peacebuilding and development in LAC?
- Who are the key stakeholders needed to support the realisation of the Agreement’s full potential?
- What opportunities exist to ensure the implementation of the Agreement?
- How can trans-regional dialogue help inform the implementation of Escazú?
- How can local civil society across LAC engage in the implementation of the Agreement?
If you are interested to attend the discussion, please RSVP to email@example.com